I think my cell phone touch screen is worn slap out.
Time and time again, I find myself checking for email, Twitter mentions, and Facebook wall post. Proof of acceptance. Proof that someone is thinking of me. Proof that I’m OK.
My self-focus is like a rip tide supplanting my footing and sucking me into dangerous depths.
Soon, I find myself flailing in the murky, black waters where all I can think about is me, me, me. In those waters, everything I do and say is for personal gain. Service becomes self-promotion. Prayer becomes public display. Encouragement becomes eager fishing for approval.
Recently, as I lay in bed begging God to restore a friendship I never thought I’d lose, God spoke.
Lee, picture what your life would be like if you hungered for more of me as much as you hunger for human approval. I have so much more to give you. So much more. When will you stop this striving for the lesser thing?
My heart sank deep into the mattress as His words settled in.
What do I do, Lord?
In the quiet, I waited on Him.
With His finger, he traced His instructions on my heart.
- Take your “heart medicine” every morning. Let My Word regulate your heart to beat in rhythm with Mine.
“I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path. Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” (Psalm 119:104-105 NIV)
- Let Me renew your mind. Every time your thoughts stray toward human approval, call out to Me. Say My name. Sing My praises. Simply say, “Help!”
“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” (Romans 12:2 NIV)
- Trip up the tempter. The evil one knows human approval is a foothold he can use to paralyze you. He will continue to jab at you until you jab back. Every time you make the choice to focus on Me, a tiny piece of that foothold crumbles. Continued obedience destroys footholds, giving the evil one no place to stand.
“We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” (2 Corinthians 10:5 NIV)
- Hide My Word in your heart. Replace his lies with My truth. When the lies swoop through your heart like a garbage heap breeze, let My Spirit wind clear the air.
“I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” (Psalm 119:10-11 NIV)
- Start now and don’t stop. It’s time to get stubborn. No more quitting when life gets hard. No more letting your guard down “just this once.” No more idols. I am Your God.
“Get rid of the vile images you have set your eyes on, and do not defile yourselves with the idols of Egypt. I am the LORD your God.” (Ezekiel 20:7 NIV)
Lord, I’m so sorry. So sorry I keep adding bricks to Satan’s foothold into my life. It’s time to tear that foothold down. Give me an insatiable craving for Your word and Your presence. Give me a hatred for my sin and a fierce determination to be holy. I can’t do it with sheer effort. I need Your power coursing through my mental, emotional, and spiritual muscles. Beef me up, Lord, for Your glory and my good. AMEN
By: LeeBird, Prayer Gifts
Leave a Comment